Villa Carlotta source
Lake Como, Italy will forever be a very special place to me. In October of 2007, my parents were kind enough to invite me to tag along on their yearly trip. It was my second time to the homeland, and I was so excited to go back. Obviously, it is a beautiful country bursting with history, romance, and color. It seems that every corner literally drips with inspiration. There were some things going on in my life at that point that made me more than happy to "check out" for a while and explore a new place that was far, far away.
My Dad is quite possibly the world's best traveler. He has been just about everywhere there is to go, and somehow, always knows what he is doing and which direction to go. That is something I very much admire about my Dad. He has always taught his children to be curious and explorative, but to keep composure and respectful confidence in every situation. All that to say, he is the best travel guide and companion. I will never forget the day we visited Villa Carlotta on the shore of Lake Como. The villa was built in 1690 and the structure and all of the gardens total about 17 acres of land. I always enjoy gardens since my line of work is in horticulture, and the gardens at Villa Carlotta were mesmerizing.
When I got back to the states, I sent an email to the villa curator. She knew exactly which section of the ceiling I was talking about and was lovely enough to give me more information. The phrase is indeed original Latin. It was later revised to: Amor vincit omnia. The phrase had originally appeared in Eclogue X by the famous Latin Poet Virgil (70 BC-19 BC). When Virgil wrote this phrase, it was about the story of a poet, Gaius Cornelius Gallo, who after some love troubles, decided to leave love and poetry in order to compose pastoral odes. Finally, he was forced to recognize the supremacy and the power of love.
Although Virgil wrote the phrase, it meant something totally different to me than it probably did to him. At the time I read it, my heart was shattered.
To me, the phrase means two things:
1. Love in it's truest form is Jesus Christ. He has paid it all, conquered all through His sacrifice on the cross. He will reign the victor against darkness for all of eternity.
2. Love on this earth, the one I longed for in a companion at the time, would overcome all obstacles. It would persevere, it would never give up, and in the end; it would win.(Little did I know at the time that this would be a painfully accurate description of the journey my husband and I endured to get where we are.)
Looking back, the phrase means more to me now than it did then. I am completely safe in my salvation, and I am married to an amazing man. Neither of these things came easily for me. I had to (and continue to) fight for both.On my wedding day, I carried a handkerchief embroidered with the phrase I discovered when my heart was broken. As I walked down the aisle, holding onto my Dad's arm and clutching that piece of fabric, I was overcome with thanksgiving that it was in fact true. Love really did conquer all.




Such a sweet story! I'm glad you are where you are today!! xo
ReplyDelete