About Me

Monday, May 13, 2013

Things I Learned from Watching my Mom

It is no secret that my mom is very special to me. I used to think that she and I couldn't by more opposite in personality, but as I grow older, I see much more of my mom in myself (which makes me happy!). I am the last of six children, so our house growing up was never lacking noise. Somehow, my mom had dinner on the table every night, time to help with our school projects and homework, sew clothing, teach Bible study, volunteer at our school cafeteria, act as chief chauffeur, keep a clean home, cultivate and maintain relationships, oh the list could go on and on. As an adult, I watched her grandmother 20 little darlings, hold an integral role in several ministries, endure two separate battles with breast cancer with the utmost grace, and best of all, I've watched our relationship as mother and daughter evolve into friendship, respect, admiration, and an even deeper love and need for her wisdom in my life.

Here are a few things I have been blessed to take away from watching my mom that impressed on me growing up, and encourage me now:

1. Stay busy. It was rare that I saw my mom lounging. She would sit to do paperwork, prepare Bible studies, write checks, chat on the phone (before the days of cordless and mobile phones), but rarely did we find her sitting idly.

2. Stay calm. I don't think I've ever witnessed my mom truly "lose it." She would have her moments of being frazzled (usually quiet tears of frustration), but never a full-blown melt down of which I know I am capable! She taught me to pray in the moment, and that is still something that I do many times a day.

3. Stay focused. As you can see by my incomplete list of tasks above, mom had a lot on her plate during our younger years. I believe she completed them by remaining focused on one task until it was completed.

4. Stay faithful. As a Christ-follower, a wife, and a mother, my mom has always been loyal. She spent appropriate amounts of time studying scripture, keeping house, spending time with Dad, and giving each of her kids attention and love.

5. Stay joyful. My Mom has a great sense of humor. She will be the first one to laugh at herself to lighten the mood or mention a funny memory or fact about the situation. This taught me to enjoy and appreciate the everyday moments and remember that joy comes from the heart, not necessarily the circumstances that surround us.

I am so thankful to have been placed in this world as the daughter of the woman I described above. Her life is an inspiration and points others to the source of her blessings - Jesus Christ.

Mom with first son, Jonathan

divider

1 comment: