About Me

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Violet Marie at 6 years

Six years ago our world changed drastically. I was due on Christmas day with a little baby girl, who remained unnamed until we met her in the hospital. I truly had no idea what I was doing. Sure, I have 20 nieces and nephews, at the time a 6 year old step daughter, tons of experience with kids. But as much as I love those kids, none of them are mine. When Violet was born, it was just me. I was it. Her source of life, her source of nutrition, safety, and endless love. Not to say that Tim didn't help me tremendously, but when push came to shove, it was all on me.

I will never forget our first night in the hospital. Tim had gone home to get some rest because the only option for him in my hospital room was a very short pleather chair that reclined, but reclined awkwardly. There we were, sitting together alone in the dim lights of the hospital room. I remember introducing myself as her mama, and that I promised to love her and take care of her forever. I prayed that she would love Jesus and always be kind and brave. At that point in time, I had zero clue what her personality would be like, (although I guessed it might be spirited due to her constant crying), and just no idea how the future would unfold. Out of all of our girls, I remember our time together most vividly, which is to be expected. I didn't have little ones at home to think about. I used to sit and stare at her, getting lost in her hazel eyes as big as saucers. 

The years have been sweet with Violet. I didn't see it until the past couple years, but the girl is so much like me that it's actually a bit scary. We think the same ways, enjoy the same activities, even have the same favorite color (purple, of course!). Her actually being SIX years old is surreal to me. I always tell people that I came alive when I became a mom, and I still believe that. She threw me into a world of constant self sacrifice. I love her more with each passing day. 

Thank you, Lord, for our sweet Violet Marie.





divider

No comments:

Post a Comment